For a link to pictures and plans, check out my homepage.
Click here to reference my Antarctica and International travels blog, the ice and other interests.

Thursday, August 30, 2007

life in the northern town

I took a trip across the border today. I visited my "motherland." I went to British Columbia; Vancouver to be exact. Strangely, I received more questions going into Canada this time than I did coming back to the States. I still want to use my dual citizenship; but they keep track (and take a picture) of you and your car when you cross the border, so today, I continued my use of the US passport. I tried stopping at Peace Arch Park, but missed the turnoff for it. I was stuck in enough border traffic that I was able to take a couple pictures: The Peace Arch reads "Children of a Common Mother" on one side and "Brethren dwelling together in unity" on the other. I hope our countries continue to share such common ground.

I can see myself living in Vancouver someday. Despite the traffic, it's a gorgeous city (although, I did remember that, though the sun was shining on this particular day, there are plenty of rainy days as well). The city reminded me a bit of being in Sydney this spring; though, I don't feel as strongly about living in Australia! I spent a marvelous afternoon taking in sights, sounds, and smells of Stanley Park by bicycle, and then a couple hours of the early evening admiring the modern architecture of Coal Harbour on foot.

And, of course, I got a Vancouver Starbucks mug, too. My corporate discount works up there, so it was also the cheapest mug in my collection! The city-scapes have change styles now, recently. It's a bit disappointing, but things change, and I continue my collection with the new designs (previous sentence goes a lot deeper than the 20oz coffee mug).

Stanley Park is a huge park nearly entirely surrounded by harbour, lake, and waterway. There are unique sculptures throughout and totem poles to view, too. There are trails and roads for pedestrians, bicyclists, drivers, skateboarders, and roller bladers to get lost on and plenty of scenery to view of the city, mountains, hills, and beaches surrounding the shores of the park. Lots of late-summer plants were blooming; including this magnificent lily.

I'm really happy I took this fabulous-weather day away. I needed a break from the cell phone, the mess of organization, and Antarctica packing (27 days, and countind down) I've been doing. And, I still have another day off before I'm back to work on Saturday.

No comments: