For a link to pictures and plans, check out my homepage.
Click here to reference my Antarctica and International travels blog, the ice and other interests.

Friday, August 17, 2007

running with stick

Within the first 10 meters up the arboretum hill this evening, I took two spiderwebs to the face. Now, running up this hill is not easy in itself (a mile all uphill), but after gagging on a bug and taking two webs to the cheeks, the task becomes nearly impossible. So, I picked up a stick, and I ran with it pointed to the sky about 8 inches in front of my face so that it would catch the webs. I made 3/4 of the hill and walked the rest.

I love walking through the woods like that. So many free thoughts run through my head and I feel childlike. Sometimes I feel like a business professional, sometimes like an older sister, sometimes like a barista, and sometimes like a child. It's my time to swing a stick around and hear it slice through the air, to hum a tune, dance down the road, walk like a princess, pick a flower, think, pray, or just simply smile.

When I was in Sydney, walking down the sidewalk to explore the city, I stopped a a deli to pick up a sandwich for lunch. I chatted with the folks working at this shop when the woman behind the counter said, "you just have a presence of peace about you." It was true; I was so light-hearted, confident with where I was and who I was that I found a small bit of life's pleasure; a joy of simply "being." I have that when I'm out on my runs and walks, too. I just exist as a child of God.

Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.
- unknown -

No comments: