For a link to pictures and plans, check out my homepage.
Click here to reference my Antarctica and International travels blog, the ice and other interests.

Wednesday, September 5, 2007

10 things i learned this summer

Based on my friend, Emily's great (and creative) list, I have endeavored to list 10 things I've learned this summer. So, in no particular order:

1. Patience. Not something ever completely achieved, but something worth attempting to acquire.

2. Coffee. Who knew it could be so much fun?

3. People: Some are not forthcoming, thinking it will help you; others are entirely honest, thinking it will hurt you. Some take advantage, some give generously, some teach you, some learn from you, some stick close, others come and go. Everyone serves a deliberate God-given purpose on this earth and is important to me.

4. I can think of something creative to do with at least 10% of my paper trash (cards, cups, boxes, designs, magazines, unusual packing material). More often than not, I need to remember that it's trash.

5. There are certain places and people who make me feel at "home" no matter how long it's been or how far across the globe I've traveled.

6. I love being in Western Washington.

7. Where I am is exactly where God wants me to be.

8. I want to explode out of my own odd-shaped box; not conform to the even dimensions made by other people's assumptions, popular-culture, or general opinion.

9. I often try to avoid talking about Antarctica; but I often use it as a stalling tool if I screw up some one's drink at Starbucks!

10. I am usually a better talker than listener. I'd rather be a better listener than talker.

2 comments:

Emily Dykstra said...

That's a beautiful list, but #10 is wrong. You're an amazing listener. If I were more like you then I might gain more from life. I dish advice too much.

You're a sweetie!

andrea said...

You know you have a fantastic friend when they think of you what you think of them! Your advice is ALWAYS well-taken and wise, too; like an example of Lady Wisdom from Proverbs 31!